Monday, January 11, 2016

LeToya Luckett Talks Starring Alongside Legendary Actress Ella Joyce in ‘Lucky Girl’


RollingOut.com:
R&B songstress LeToya Luckett is giving the marriage life a test drive in her lead role in urban comedy Lucky Girl. Luckett plays the character of  “Selena Jackson” in the Dan Garcia film along with an all-star cast including Columbus Short, Ella, Joyce, BillySorrells, Parker McKenna, Malik Yoba, Shanti Lowrey and more. ” Selena is very conflicted throughout the film because she is days away from marrying the man of her dreams but hasn’t quite gotten over her ex-lover. Taking on this the role wasn’t the norm for me, but I enjoyed the experience,” Luckett mentioned. The film was released Jan 5, on BET networks and can also be purchased at Walmart, Redbox, iTunes, Amazon and several cable networks.

Letoya took some time out of her busy schedule to chat with rolling out to detail more on her role, her close relationship with cast member Ella Joyce and her new show making its debut next month.

Tell me about you role as Selena in the film.
The reason why I was attracted to the film so much was because this character was different from any role I had ever played. I have never seen a storyline where a bride was still confused on her wedding day on whether she still wanted to be with her ex or her fiance. The plot twist at the end is a total shocker. Selena is constantly stuck in the past on several life situations. She can’t seem to wrap her head around her ex not being in her life anymore, but she has to come to grips with that whether she likes it or not.  It is such a cool film. It’s funny, dramatic and all those things wrapped up into one. There are just a lot of real life situations and scenarios wrapped into one.


What were some of the challenges you faced while getting in tune with your character for the film?
I had worked with this director before and he thought I would be perfect for this role. I read the script and was like this is something different so let me try it out. Once we got going I grew to love Selena. She is a little different than me. She is the one you have to hold real tight out of your friends and just give her a big hug every time you see her. I love playing different characters. I felt like she would be a bit of a challenge for me, but that is the part I love. I did the best I could with the character and I appreciate being able to have the opportunity to play different roles.


Who from the cast did you connect with the most on set?
Ella Joyce would always corner me and give me advice. I think that we connected the most out of anyone. She has been in the industry a lot longer than I have. She has really seen me grow in my career. I admire her for just being a woman of color in this industry, so I respect her critique. I appreciate that about her. Every time I see her she has something different to say.


What projects are you working on for 2016?
I have a new show that I am working on that is coming out on TV One called Here We Go Again starring myself and Wendy Raquel Williams. Also, on February 9, I will be dropping my single for my 3rd solo album around that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment